Sunday, December 18, 2005

My First Blog

OK, never written a blog before, so I'm not 100% sure of how to format it, or how to begin. So I figure I'll tell a bit about myself here, and then move on to some of my perspectives in a new post. Ease my way into it, and all that type of stuff. So if this isn't how most people start their blogs, you'll pardon my inexperience. Everyone has a topic, something that really interests them, excites them to not only talk about it but hear alternative perspectives. For me, that's emerging societies. Sound weird? Not as weird as you may think. Any time a society evolves, it's a very exciting period. Many changes happen simultaneously, and people have a real opportunity to make a different.

And it doesn't matter how big or how small the society is. A family is a society, so is a company. Professionally, I specialize in developing the business side of small companies, and I love my work. It's exciting because there's always something going on, something crucial. You always have the opportunity to really make a difference. I love the pace, love the work. And I think that it many ways I do very well at it, though I can rub people the wrong way at times.

And of course, bigger societies can be more rewarding. In college I double majored in political science and economics, and with the school went to the Soviet Union in 1989 to study the faltering communist economic structure, as well as the developing democratic political system. It was an amazing experience!

Israel was great as well. I arrived shortly after the second antifadah ended, and right before the killing of Yitzhak Rabin in 1995. I lived on a kibbutz for over a year, which is a whole other type of developing society. Then I helped create an organization called the Israel Export Institute, with the goal of helping Israel trade internationally.

From there, I helped build up two technology companies in Israel, the second of which made it possible for any computer anywhere in the world to work in any language. That was an amazing project, and through that company I traveled around and came into contact with a variety of cultures. Again, it was an amazing experience.

I continued the same type of work in Boston, this time focusing more on the Pacific Rim, and then moved on to ISO 9000 work, again mainly with small developing companies.

All of this experience has given me some, I think, unique insights to the world. Of course, maybe this will teach me that my perspectives are not as unique as I thought; I'm more than interested to find out. In the mean time, I think this will be a great place to spit out some of my thoughts, and track some of the evolutions of my perspectives. Feel free to come along for the ride.

Posted by Scottage at 9:28 PM / | |