Friday, January 27, 2006

Top 5 on Friday

The Friday Music Meme asks for the Top 5 "Classic Rock" Bands (and your favorite song by each if you feel so disposed).

OK, this was very tough, much tougher then I would have expected. The difficult part was boiling it down. I started by listing all the bands that would make my top bands, but I ended up with 20 bands, 35 if you include bands that sort of straddled R&B and classic rock, like The Temptations and Three Dog Knight. .

So then I had to boil down. Lost were the Kinks, Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band, Clapton and any number of bands, Van Halen, the Jimi Hendrix Experience and Led Zeppelin. And many bands I really enjoyed from the classic rock era never had a chance, but where would classic rock be without REO Speedwagon, Styx and Journey.

But you asked for 5, so I’ll give you 5. For each band include two songs: my favorite popular song, and my favorite lesser-known song. So here goes:

1. The Rolling Stones
a. Popular Favorite – Sympathy For The Devil
b. Less-Popular Favorite – Monkey Man

2. The Who
a. Popular Favorite – Won’t Get Fooled Again
b. Less-Popular Favorite – The Real Me


3. The Allman Brothers
a. Popular Favorite – Melissa
b. Less-Popular Favorite – Soul Shine


4. Santana
a. Popular Favorite – Samba Pa Ti
b. Less-Popular Favorite – She’s Not There

5. Pink Floyd
a. Popular Favorite – Shine On You Crazy Diamond
b. Less-Popular Favorite – Echoes

Posted by Scottage at 1:10 AM / | |