Friday, February 03, 2006

Five on Friday

Another cool meme, this one asks 5 thought-provoking questions each week. Here’s this weeks postings:

Growing Up

1. What did you want to be when you grew up?

A Rabbi

2. Did you follow through? If not, what happened?

No, I went to Israel and had a run in with an Israeli terrorist named Meir Kahane, and it forced me to question my career goals, and ultimately abandon them.

3. Is your life turning out the way you thought it would when you were a kid? If not, is it better or worse?

Well, certainly being a rabbi would be a very different life focused more on the religious aspects of life. At present, I’m not that religious at all, though I am spiritual and moral. But my life isn’t better or worse, it’s just different. This life has allowed me a lot of different options and experiences that the religious life would not have allowed me. So I wouldn’t change back to my original plan. But I don’t judge either life either, no regrets.

4. Paradoxes aside, if you could time-travel back to when you were 10 years old, what would you tell your 10-year-old self?

To be more confident doing the things I wanted to do and meeting the people I wanted to meet. It took me a while to realize that I wanted out of life the same things that everyone wanted out of life, and that I could be confident wanting them. I think I would have taken more risks if I had known that.

5. Do you think the child you were, would like the adult you've become?

Yeah, I think the child I was would really like the adult I’ve become quite a bit. I would not have guessed I would be this person, but I would like him.

Posted by Scottage at 1:44 AM / | |