Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Friendship

I truly believe that there is nothing as important in our lives as our friends. I’ve been blessed with an amazing group of friends; I suspect some of the best people a guy could ever hope to have as friends. And this, despite the fact that I often question if I’m a good friend. Not in the immediate sense, but as time goes on, and I’ve moved to a new location, the challenges of being a nomad set in, and I find it harder and harder to maintain my past friendships.

You see, it’s not easy making or having friends when you’re a nomad. Every place I’ve lived in has been a completely new place to me, a place where I knew no people and had no existing ties. So it’s always a challenge to make friends. I can’t even tell you exactly how I do it; I just am myself, try to meet people where I can.

What I do know is that to earn new friends you have to be a good friend, devote time and energy to the friendship, and just be there for them. It takes time and it takes patience; sometimes it feels like I have so little time to begin with, with so much going on as I acclimate to a new area, but I know I’ll never be truly happy unless I develop that network of friends to spend time with, talk to, share experiences with.

Unfortunately, there is a flip side to this; it doesn’t leave lots of time for the great friends you already have made along the way. I feel like I have only a few hours a day where I can be social, a few hours a day where I’m not working, exercising, practicing guitar, writing this blog, or doing whatever else I am doing at that time to continue improving myself. And while it may sound selfish, I just don’t feel like I have as much time I as I would like to dedicate to all my friends.

Around this time of the year, I try to get in touch with as many of my friends as I can, just to let them know I’m still alive and where I am. It’s not always easy; I’ve lost touch with many, many probably wouldn’t remember who I was even if I did know where they were and could write them. But I have great memories of each and every person, and they all have made contributions to who I am today.

Anyway, it’s times like this that I look back with regret on some of the people I’ve lost touch with, or some of the really amazing people that I haven’t been able to dedicate enough time to over the years. I would hope that, being as cool as these people are, they would understand.

Well, I have no idea if any of my old friends will see this log, but if you are one of those old friends reading this, know I love you all, and drop me a line, I’ll try to write back as soon as possible. And know how much I value your friendship, even if I don’t get to express it as often as I like.

Posted by Scottage at 1:20 AM / | |