Wednesday, February 01, 2006

New Missile Developed by Russia


Russia has developed a new missile with long range capability, the ability to avoid missile defense systems, and the ability to carry a nuclear warhead, says Vladimir Putin. "Russia ... has tested missile systems that no one in the world has. These missile systems don't represent a response to a missile defense system, but they are immune to that. They are hypersonic and capable of changing their flight path."

I honestly don’t have any problem with Russia having such a missile, in theory. The cold war is over, and Russia has proved to be a good diplomatic partner on the world stage. I suspect Russia regrets having lost their status as a superpower, and the revitalization of their missile program would go a long way towards bolstering their international image.

My fears come from their close ties with Iran and Syria. How long will it be before one of these countries are looking to purchase the missile? And do any of the more radical factions in Russia have the ability to get a hold of the missile to sell it to one of these countries? In a country where the mafia and black market is very strong, I do fear that this missile could wind up in the wrong hands. But I guess by now Russia has earned my trust, and I’ll have to believe in them.

Posted by Scottage at 1:20 AM / | |