Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Lost No More: Evangeline Lilly Finds Herself on Hit Show

CNN Entertainment did a story on Evangeline Lilly, the steamy starlet of the ABC hit “Lost”, which I have to say is one of my favorites. And I was struck by how lost Lilly was before she came to the show, versus how together she seems today, not only in her rolls but in her interviews.


Lilly was a student at University of British Columbia in Vancouver a few years ago, paying for it by doing television commercials. From the way CNN tells it, you could see the talent immediately. But she wasn’t happy with it, and abandoned it to study International Relations full time. Soon, though, money became a problem, so Lilly went back towards acting, this time as an extra in films.





"Being an extra, ironically, turned out to be something I loved," she says with a laugh. "I could go in when I wanted. Do my homework. Read books. Eat their food. Rest. That was my job and I got paid for it!"
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .


So at this stage, she’s making much less money, not really moving ahead her career any more, but she’s focused on her studies. But a friend made a comment that stuck with her, and stuck with me as well:


As Lilly tells it, she finally saw the light when a friend observed how "you claim to believe in destiny, and yet you're ignoring what appears to be all the signs of destiny. Doors are opening for you, but you're afraid of your own success."



That’s a powerful statement, isn’t it? Ignoring your destiny, it brings up many questions in my life, probably in everyone’s life. I don’t know about you, but I have not figured out what my destiny is yet. I have some thoughts, some things I love doing, some things that seem to come naturally to me, but I haven’t found my destiny. I’m 38 already, so maybe I won’t ever find my destiny, I don’t know for sure.


Perhaps I’ve ignored my own destiny, and ran away from it. Or perhaps I’m running towards it but haven’t pinpointed it yet, but with each new step I get closer. I don’t know for sure, but I do hope I achieve my destiny, and find the sense of fulfillment that Lilly goes on to describe in this article, and realize that I’ve accomplished something, made a difference, but the time it’s all done.


The article’s a good one, and it obviously got me thinking. It goes on to describe Lilly’s challenges in trying to find her identity as an actress while not being told exactly what her character on the show was, a result of the veil of secrecy around the “Lost” set. And it describes her finding herself, and her love of acting, through the role and the new challenge. I recommend it.


But it also got me thinking about our own destinies, and finding ourselves. Amazing how a fluff piece can so quickly turn into food for thought.


technorati tags: , , , , ,


Posted by Scottage at 2:54 PM / | |