Sunday, June 10, 2007

A Difficult Passing


I went to a funeral today for a member of my fellowship, a really good guy who we’ll call TH for now. I must admit, it was more than a little heartbreaking, and I find myself reeling from the loss.

TH was a 34 year old doctor, and a great guy. He always seemed to have a smile on his face, and there was a certain freedom to his laugh that, if you heard it, you would remember. It came from deep in his gut, and said clear as day that this was a person who was having a good time.

TH was the type of guy you can count on, the type of person who was there for you if you ever really needed anything. People knew they could count on him 100%, and that he was a great listener. He was the type of person who you wanted in your life. It’s hard to imagine why someone like that would be taken so young.

Two weeks ago, I was hurting from a particular set of incidents. They weren’t the end of the world or anything, but they were enough to get me inside of my head, and that’s a dangerous place. TH was obviously busy, but he took the time to talk with you, to put my situation in perspective, and to get me laughing.

I know it sounds ridiculous, but I couldn’t help but wonder why a guy like TH was taken, and why time after time I’ve been spared. I’ve been in near death situations so many times now, and each time I survive, while these great people have been taken. Maybe it’s just self pity, but I can’t figure out why he would be chosen for this freak accident instead of me.

In the end of the day, I can’t know God’s will. But it is difficult to see good people, people who help others and contribute, taken so early in life, while I am spared time and again. I suppose the best I can do is to try to make the most of my time here, and to make a real difference in the world for the people who are now unable to.

I’ll miss TH, the laughter and the smile. But maybe I’ll also learn from his passing, and improve myself as a result of it. Another member of my fellowship says no one is truly gone if they are still remembered, and I will always remember TH.

Go in peace, friend. Know you will be missed!

Posted by Scottage at 6:13 PM / | |