Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Danish Newspaper Printed Mohammed Cartoons and Rejected Jesus Cartoons

An article has come out of Copenhagen indicating that Jyllands-Posten, the same Danish newspaper that printed the Mohammed cartoons, rejected 5 Jesus cartoons 3 years ago, stating that they were too offensive.

"My cartoon, which certainly did not offend any Christians I showed it to, was rejected because the editor felt it would be considered offensive to readers -- readers in general, not necessarily Christians," cartoonist Christoffer Zieler said in an email he sent to Reuters on Wednesday.


Jens Kaiser was the editor of Jyllands-Posten when Zieler submitted 5 cartoons of Jesus jumping out of holes in the floor and walls during his resurrection, while modern inventions such as Olympic judges and survivor-cams observed him. Jens admits that he refused to accept the cartoons, indicating they were too offensive for publication. He now claims that he said this to spare the author’s feelings, and that the cartoons just weren’t good.

"Having seen the cartoons, I found that they were not very good. I failed to see the purportedly provocative nature," he said in a statement. My fault is that I didn't tell him what I really meant: The cartoons were bad."


I believe that the Mohammed cartoons should have been printed, and I believe in freedom of the press. But I also believe that there has to be an even playing field, and that all groups must be treated fairly and equally. I know that every day a newspaper makes choices about what to print and what not to print, and that these are difficult choices. But in the interest of fairness, the cartoons should be published now, to show that this was not an issue about hatred towards Muslims, but about basic freedoms that define our society.

Posted by Scottage at 12:57 PM / | |