Saturday, August 05, 2006

Follow-Up to Point/Counterpoint


Davenelli wrote a short follow-up to his post on Israel v. Lebanon, and I am happy to reproduce it here.  It should be noted that his follow-up represents the reason that something like point/counterpoint is so beneficial.  Thank you Davenelli for doing the first point/counterpoint, you have really earned my respect as well.

Davenelli’s Take on Israel V. The Lebanon 2006
The Follow Up

I’d just like to thank everyone who took part in this experiment for their time and input. As I stated in my original post I am no expert in Middle Eastern affairs. From the constructive dialogue that my article has provoked it appears that no-one has all the answers, sadly.

So what have I learned from this? Well I suppose the main thing is that respect is very much a two way street. I attempted to make the piece as balanced and inclusive as possible and as each person who took the time to comment on the piece did so in a positive way it would appear that I managed that to some degree.

I was aware when I penned the article that in electing to discuss such an emotive topic I was leaving myself open to hostility. I am delighted that this has not been the case even when the responses posted obviously disagreed with my assessment of the situation.

I was pleased to receive feedback from each and every one of you and to Rafi G. in particular I am grateful. Rafi has provided me with an insight into how the situation is affecting life for ordinary Israelis. The view he expressed is one I did not consider when I wrote the piece. Perhaps this was down to how the incident has been portrayed in the media or perhaps it was simply down to my own myopia.

Ezzie I have been unable to locate the video (Obsession) you mentioned in your feedback, each link I found to it was no longer operational. I am very interested in viewing the film. If you have a working link would it be possible to post it in the comments section of my blog?

You have each provided me with a unique viewpoint and expressed your understanding of the events in a courteous way. By doing so you have now increased my interest in the topic and provided me with an incentive to investigate the political situation of the area further. I have certainly learned a few things from each of you and I sincerely hope that you have taken something positive from me. Despite the differences which currently exist in our views I hope that we may now consider each other as friends.

A final word of thanks to my brave/foolish* (*delete as appropriate) and generous host Scott. I am delighted to have been invited to participate in this and your kind words and encouragement have been greatly appreciated. For electing to publish the article as it was submitted you will always have my complete respect. Should you ever wish to post on my blog I will be delighted to accommodate you. Thank you once again.

Posted by Scottage at 11:34 AM / | |